relaxing in the "lazy economy"
——高中进阶 (2018-2019学年第24期) 1版
i did all my christmas shopping online this year. i bought clothes, toys, gift cards and other odds and ends (零碎东西) for my family and friends. instead of spending hours, if not days, going from store to store, fighting the christmas crowds and lining up checkouts, i made my purchases while sitting in a comfortable chair with my laptop on my knee. and i was not alone. this past christmas, americans spent an estimated $124 billion shopping online.
in china, there is a new term for this convenient type of commerce (商业): the lazy economy. the term was invented by taobao, the online shopping website, to describe the increasing popularity of using computer and mobile apps to buy things and to access services.
according to taobao, chinese consumers spent 16 billion yuan last year on online shopping and services, a 70 percent increase over the previous year. for younger people, those born after 1995, their online spending increased by 82 percent. taobao says those numbers are expected to keep increasing well into the future.
so, does the "lazy economy" mean that people are getting lazy (or lazier) or are we just taking advantage of technology to use our time more efficiently? well, it depends.
for young people who work long hours in stressful jobs, mobile apps have really added to their quality of life. using the didi app is quicker than hailing (招呼) a taxi, and using an app to order supper is quicker and easier than cooking a meal. and, of course, if something is needed immediately (medicine, etc.), it can be ordered with an app and delivered within hours.
the downside (不利因素) of this, however, is the danger of people becoming more isolated. in cases where people work on their computers from home, they may seldom have a face-to-face conversation with others. this lack of interaction can be mentally unhealthy. and, as studies have shown, if the only friends you have are on social media, you really do not have any friends.
although the lazy economy is convenient, sometimes a little inconvenience is not so bad. it is good for your mental health to get out and mix with crowds, talk to shop assistants and cook your own supper with food you bought from the supermarket. i plan to do all these things during this winter vacation ... but next christmas, i am still going to shop online!
read the following two news reports. what do you think of xiao li and wei duo?
1. xiao li, a college student born after 1995, used to wash her hair every two days. but as the weather got colder, she bought a mist spray (喷雾) online, which allows her to wash her hair less often.
2. wei duo, a 21-year-old college student, placed an order online to deliver a birthday cake to his friend who lives far from his home. the delivery cost him 50 yuan, but it saved him almost half a day if he delivered it by himself.
according to a report issued by taobao, the post-1995 generation was the “laziest” as its consumption increased by 82 percent, compared with that in 2017. do you think your generation is lazy? why or why not?
1. instead of spending hours, if not①days, going from store to store, fighting the christmas crowds and lining up②checkouts, i made ... with③my laptop on my knee.
① if not: used when you are adding that sth. may be even more, less, better, worse, etc. than you have just said 即使没有
e.g. the snow was now two feet deep, making it difficult, if not impossible, to get the car out.
② line up: if people line up, they stand in a row or line 排队
③“with/without + 宾语 + 介词短语”是with/without的复合宾语结构。
e.g. he stood there, with his hat in his hand and a pipe in his mouth.
2. in cases where①people work on their computers from home, they may seldom have a face-to-face conversation with others. this lack②of interaction can be mentally unhealthy.
e.g. you have reached a point where a change is needed.
② lack n. (~ of) when there is not enough of sth., or none of it 缺乏，没有
e.g. new parents tend to suffer from lack of sleep.
complete each sentence using one word from the box in its correct form. note that there is one word more than you need and you can use each word only once.
access previous efficiently isolate interaction convenient
1. i keep my dictionaries near my desk for __________.
2. he was dismissed for being __________.
3. although lucy is the youngest in her class, she __________ well with other children.
4. after all the visitors had left, she experienced a feeling of complete __________.
5. applicants for this position must have __________ experience.
1. convenience 2. inefficient 3. interacts
4. isolation 5. previous
1. 在美国居住了五年后，我的阿姨说英语，即使没有超越当地人，也和他们一样好。(if not)
1. after living in new york for five years, my aunt can speak english as well as, if not better than, local people.
2. tom was so tired that he fell asleep with his head on his arms.
3. the treatment will continue until the patient reaches the point where he recovers/regains consciousness.
4. kate was unable to / failed to stand out from the many applicants for lack of the necessary skills for the job.
choose the best answer.
1. according to the article, which of the following statements about the lazy economy is not true?
a. it is a newly-coined term.
b. it is a global phenomenon.
c. it developed due to the rapid growth of the internet.
d. it further promotes the development of the internet.
2. according to the author, the lazy economy may cause young people to ______.
a. work longer hours
b. suffer from physical and mental illness
c. lack opportunities to make true friends
d. rely too much on smartphones
3. according to the author, which of the following activities would cause inconvenience but give people pleasure?
① buying vegetables from the supermarket instead of ordering them online
② baking homemade bread instead of buying it from the bakery
③ buying christmas gifts in the department stores instead of shopping online
④ cooking a meal at home instead of having a takeaway
a. ①②③ b. ①②④ c. ①③④ d. ②③④
make a plan for your winter vacation. what do you plan to do during this winter vacation? how can you stick to your plan? exchange your ideas with your classmates.
「英语阅读进阶版」"idolizing" the positive（内附音频）
「英语阅读进阶版」work hard, play fair（内附音频）
「英语阅读进阶版」breaking the cycle（内附音频）
「英语阅读进阶版」what's outside the box?（内附音频）
「英语阅读进阶版」do we really chat?（内附音频）
「英语阅读进阶版」mooncake tradition gets a modern makeover
「英语阅读进阶版」you deserve a "brighter" future 内附音频
「英语阅读进阶版」i feel, therefore i am（内附音频）
「英语阅读进阶版」when in rome, do as the romans do 内附音频
「英语阅读进阶版」what does the phone filter?（内附音频）
「英语阅读进阶版」opening up, forty years on（内附音频）
英语阅读进阶版：the good, the bad, and the ugly（内附音频）
「英语阅读进阶版」who let the dogs out?（内附音频）
「英语阅读进阶版」the tragedy of hate（内附音频）
「英语阅读进阶版」the enduring magic of mickey and disney
「英语阅读进阶版」taming the tiger（内附音频）
universities show "red card" to english majors
【英语阅读进阶版】myself, family, friends or strangers?
【英语阅读进阶版】learning the "write" stuff（内附音频）
【英语阅读进阶版】"fur" the greater good（内附音频）
© Copyright 2018-2019 degustitaly.com 威尼斯人手机版 .All Right Reserved